Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2001 16:58:01 -0800
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        Sam Drinkard <sam@wa4phy.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.5 PRERELEASE - Call for testing

--==_Exmh_-1538300369P

> Well, having followed this thread for some bit, I gotta throw my $.02
> worth in.. I'm one of those who has machines connected via a "dumb"
> 10baseT hub, and auto everything doesn't work.  I think the whole point
> is that a certain amount of knowledge is required *before* one should
> attempt to build a network.  Both the 4.5-Pre machine as well as the
> RH-7 box have identical nic's in them, but alas, *neither one* knows
> about the other one.  Only a manual configuration of the one in the 4.5
> machine is configurable.  RH 7, with same card is not.  It's MY dilemma,
> and despite all the chit-chat, what do you do when you *can't* configure
> a card manually, and it won't auto-negotiate?
>
> Sam

Buy a card that Just Works? ;)

I do sympathize - I've got 6 DEC 21x4x-based cards here (two generations of
NIC for my home network) that /never/ worked properly with any of my switches
regardless of settings, and I struggled with them for ages (I won't tell you
what I paid for 'em way back when, but you could buy a respectable desktop for
that now), before replacing them with Intel or Kingston cards.

Which like, Just Worked @ 100/full "out of the box". No user intervention
required.

(Unfortunately the Kingston card only worked for 6 weeks before dying totally,
but that's a different issue).

Personally, I think the Intel 8255x cards rock. They have a lifetime warranty
from Intel (I'm told, I've never had one go bad) and second-hand ones are
cheaper on Ebay than a new RealTek card. Surplus new ones can sometimes be had
for a song too, since they started being OEM'ed.

Oh, and they work well with FreeBSD - IIRC, ftp.cdrom.com use(d) this NIC?

Cheers,

AS

--==_Exmh_-1538300369P

--==_Exmh_-1538300369P--