Date:      Fri, 9 Nov 2001 20:23:23 -0500
From:      Derrick Norris <denorris@bellsouth.net>
To:        Galen Sampson <galen_sampson@yahoo.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KDE init [was RE: DCOP server problem...]

On Friday 09 November 2001 01:01 pm, Galen Sampson wrote:
> Hello all,
>    I have seen quite a few posts in here about problems with KDE.  I
> personally still have the problem that KDE will show its splash screen, get
> to "initializing peripherals" and just sit there.  I have noticed a few
> PR's, etc., and KDE's bug database had at least on message claiming this to
> be a problem with FreeBSD's threads.  I have gone so far as to remove every
> port that KDE depends on (except X) and rebuilt through the ports, but I
> just haven't had any luck.  I am running Xfree86 3.3.6 (built from ports)
> over a year ago, and KDE2 cvsuped many times, but the latest has been 7
> days ago.  Any known workarounds/fixes would be most appreciated.
>
> regards,
> Galen Sampson

From the way it's acting on my system, it seems to be a simple timing issue.
It only happens the first time I try to login after a reboot, and only then
if I try to login "too fast" after getting the X login screen.  I am running
X 4.1.0 built from ports.

If I wait maybe 5-10 seconds before hitting enter after typing
username/password I do not see the problem, and if I do happen to hit the
keyboard like lightning and login fast enough for the error to show, it just
goes straight back to the login screen and doesn't happen the second time.

In any case, it never happens for me if I log out of KDE and log back in,
_only_ on the first login after a reboot.  So it doesn't really bother me too
much.

For the record, though, it didn't happen until I built KDE 2.2 from the
ports.  I never saw it happen on KDE 2.1, either with 4.3-RELEASE or
4.4-RELEASE, but with KDE 2.2 it's happening both on my home machine and my
work machine under the circumstances detailed above.

My memory may be failing, but it seems like I saw a simple patch somewhere
that just added a small wait to the KDE init sequence in order to make the
problem stop.  But like I said, I can't be sure if I am remembering
correctly.  If I can find it I'll post info.

Derrick