Date:      Fri, 11 Jul 1997 17:26:26 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@dk.tfs.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        phk@dk.tfs.com, danny@panda.hilink.com.au, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, sdudley@byterunner.com
Subject:   Re: Configuring Byterunner TC-800 high speed 8-port serial card

In message <199707101555.BAA11291@godzilla.zeta.org.au>, Bruce Evans writes:
>>Speaking from experience: a correctly configured board fails the test#3
>>after a crash.  Don't ask me why, but it is correctly configured, and
>>I have verified the circuitry on the card myself, to make sure that it
>>was possible to share the IRQs with this card.
>
>Does OUT2 (aka MCR_IENABLE) disconnect the UARTs individually, as is
>required for the non-AST multiport case?

The card has 4 separate chips, genuine NS16550AN even, and at the irq
output of each chip is an open-collector driver, the output of these
are run to a forest of jumpers, where they in this case all end up
on the same line, which goes to a 3-state driver and on via another
jumper forest to IRQ-10 on the ISA bus.

There is in other words nothing common for the chips, except the address
decode & the above mentioned IRQ routing circuit.

>For the non-multiport case, I have seen some cases where test #3 fails
>but then succeeds when retried from ddb after a few seconds.  This may
>have something to do with the fifo not being initialized early.  I've
>only seen it after crashes.

I've only seen this problem after crashes too.

I have tried declaring the master on the first or the last port, and
if I remember right, one of the settings is slightly less prone to
fail, but right now I can't remember which.  I can check this fact
if it seems important to you...

whois: [PHK]                | phk@tfs.com           TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Power and ignorance is a disgusting cocktail.