Date:      Sun, 27 Dec 1998 16:19:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPTP and FreeBSD

> Regardless, we would like a PPTP server running under FreeBSD/Linux/Solaris
> at this site because we subscribe to a number of services that do security
> by IP address.  Our desire would be more to be able to assign IPs from our
> address space to roaming users.

I had looked into this at the past, and read the relavent RFCs and MS
documentation on it.  It is a bad joke, all the way arround.  First it uses a
modified version of the GRE protocol (that is why I asked about GRE support
in the kernel way back when), as an encapsulation around the PPP packets.  It
also must have a TCP connection between the client and the server to act as
a controll connection.  If that control connection is lost for whatever reason
, the tunel is closed.   Oh yes, one last thing, the GRE portion of the tunel,
where the data actually goes, has an ack/nak, sliding window and retransmit
system (again, outlined in the MS documentation).  While I think this would
be a good thing to have, just to be compatible, and ideally as a part of a
larger 'iptunel' packagel; it is *alot* of work.

--
David Cross