Date:      Sat, 5 Dec 1998 11:40:20 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Greg Pavelcak <gpavelcak@philos.umass.edu>, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Opinions on IDE Hard Drives

On Friday,  4 December 1998 at 11:52:13 -0500, Greg Pavelcak wrote:

> Reading several FreeBSD mailing lists gives me the impression
> that at least some people think IDE drives are just fine for your
> average user. However, although I have seen specific brands of
> SCSI drives discussed, I don't recall seeing recommendations on
> IDE hard drives; hence the purpose of this posting is to solicit
> your opinions on reliable, fast ide hard drives. With Christmas
> on the horizon, I just may be able to score some new hardware.
>
> Of course, if your view is that IDE is just not worth it, please
> post as well.

When I went looking for IDE drives earlier this year, I based my
search on the test results from the German c't magazine, which showed
that the IBM DeskStar drives were the fastest in a real-life mix,
pushing 10 MB/s.  I now have two of the drives (IBM-DHEA-36480 and
IBM-DHEA-38451), and I'm certainly happy enough with them.  They're
much faster than my SCSI drives.

Greg