Date:      Sat, 17 Aug 1996 14:22:27 -0400
From:      Dale_Moberg@stercomm.com
To:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   nca scsi driver error messages during boot.

Resent to scsi list after no response in questions.

     Hi,

     I am trying to get to the point of using disklabel on a scsi drive
     but disklabel times out when asked to write a label to the disk.

     dmesg shows that during boot the nca scsi driver finds the controller
     card (a NCR-53C400 based Trantor board model 160B). It also probes
     the bus and finds sd0(nca1:0:0) which responds with
     HP 1.050 GB 3rd 0582 type 0 fixec scsi2
     Direct Access 1001 MB (2051460 512 byte sectors)

     But I also see the following error messages:

     nca1/0/0 unknown message: 0x1
     nca1/0/0 unknown message: 0x1
     nca1/0/0 unknown message: 0x19
     nca1/0/0 unknown message: 0xf

     The HP drive is a fast scsi 2 drive whose documentation says to supply
     termpwr and to terminate using a cable with active termination. This I
     have done. Unfortunately the controller card documentation (from
     Adaptec) does not say how its termination can be modified or whether
     it is active. The controller card has both an internal 50 pin
     connector for ribbon cable and a DB25 for external devices. I do not
     know how the card figures out whether it is in the middle or at the
     end.

     My question is whether the unknown messages that are found during boot
     give any clues about what the real problem is and how it might be
     fixed? If not, is there a controller card that can supply active
     termination and is configurable (jumpers preferably) and that is known
     to work with fast scsi 2 drives (and of course freebsd!!!)

     Thanks for any assistance.