Date:      Thu, 3 Oct 2002 09:00:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: misc/43630: Weird 'permission denied' in /tmp for port misc/amanda 2.4.3b4

The following reply was made to PR misc/43630; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To: Leonardo Martins <lmartins@sspj.go.gov.br>
Cc: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 18:54:41 +0300

 On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 06:51:47AM -0700, Leonardo Martins wrote:

 > >Number:         43630
 > >Category:       misc
 > >Synopsis:       Weird 'permission denied' in /tmp for port misc/amanda 2.4.3b4
 > I have already 5 machines running amanda 2.4.3b2 compiled from Ports collection. I cvsup'd Ports (tag=.) and got amanda 2.4.3b4 for the new client to be put in the backup routine. It was compiled successfully. However, when put to run under xinetd (just like in the other machines) for an 'amcheck', it complains the following extracted from /var/log/messages:
 >
 > create debug directory "/tmp/amanda": Permission denied
 >
 > I checked its permissions and it's ok. I have done 777 for it but it didn't work. The other machines running 2.4.3b2 create this directory without problems.

 What are the full permission bits of /tmp, that is, the output of:

   ls -ld /tmp/

 with the trailing slash?

 Have you mounted /tmp with any special options?  What is the output of:

   mount | fgrep `df /tmp/ | awk '{mpt=$6} END {print mpt}'`

 Does the /tmp/amanda directory exist before amanda attempts to create
 it?  If yes, what are the permissions on it?

 G'luck,
 Peter

 --
 Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net	roam@FreeBSD.org