Date:      Mon, 22 Jul 1996 12:51:53 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Gord Matzigkeit <gord@enci.ucalgary.ca>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PINT scanner device driver

Gord Matzigkeit writes:
> Hi, all!
>
> I'm working on a port of the PINT device driver (PINT Is Not Twain) to
> FreeBSD.

I did this a while back, and even have my work stashed away some place
if you're interested in it.  It should still be applicable to pre-2.1.5
as I even kept the patches up to date via CVS, but I deleted them when I
upgraded, and would have to get it off backups (which I might not have
done). :(

However, I couldn't get it to work, but in
the process of debugging it found the user-mode driver that Richard
Tobin wrote (now a port called hpscan) which works with all of the HP
scanners I've come in contact with, which happened to be one of those
I had.

> Could you assign a character device major number for this SCSI scanner
> driver?  On NetBSD/i386 1.2 it lives at major number 18.

In -current, there are no 'assigned' major numbers anymore as we are
moving towards DEVFS.  For now, I'd steal a major number and see if you
can get it working first.

Nate