Date:      Tue, 20 Oct 1998 13:06:26 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Chen Xu <cxu@bu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp: even term not working

> Hi all,
>
> I have a problem with my ppp dialup to my ISP. I have FreeBSD 2.2.7 and
> ppp version 1.7 (I like to download newest verion but could not do that
> without ppp working first).
>
> Failed to setup ppp auto mode, I tried using ppp term to see what's going
> on. The things are: I can dial to reach my ISP and get the welcome message
> from it. Howverer, as soon as I logged in, the ppp connection is broken,
> at this moment I got
>
> Swich to Ppp ON mypc>packet mode
>
> You can see here the first capital P, which may mean the peer connection
> is immidiately terminated.

>From the (current) man page:

     You are now connected!  Note that `PPP' in the prompt has changed to cap-
     ital letters to indicate that you have a peer connection.  If only some
     of the three Ps go uppercase, wait 'till either everything is uppercase
     or lowercase.  If they revert to lowercase, it means that ppp couldn't
     successfully negotiate with the peer.  This is probably because your PAP
     or CHAP authentication name or key is incorrect.  A good first step for
     troubleshooting at this point would be to ``set log local phase''. Refer
     to the ``set log'' command description below for further details.

With older versions of ppp, you may need to add LCP logging too.
Only getting as far as ``Ppp'' (and no ``PPp'') means that your
authentication failed.

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;