Date:      Thu, 14 Mar 2002 16:34:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      Pete Carah <pete@ns.altadena.net>
To:        "Jan L. Peterson" <jlp@softhome.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: if_wi with dhclient problem

> Just curious... you said you had an fxp0 in this machine.
>
> Try "ifconfig fxp0 down" before doing the "dhclient wi0".

This has never been needed before last week.  It apparently is needed
if I use IPX but I don't.  And, adding an IP address (*any* IP addr)
to the wi0 before dhclient makes it work even without downing the
fxp.  I think there is a (new) feature to if_wi that won't send any IP
packet if it doesn't have an address yet.

(The other case where downing the fxp has been needed is if it had an
address and default route before inserting the wireless card.  However
that isn't the case here either; I'm starting from a fresh boot).

-- Pete