Date:      Thu, 13 Sep 2001 09:36:28 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>
To:        Bzdik BSD <bzdik@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: surprise: he finds FreeBSD is a better OS

From: Bzdik BSD <bzdik@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, Sep 12, 2001 at 03:05:04PM -0700

> Reiser is a known data eater when you run oracle, postfix or any other heavy
> i/o ( at least it was at the time he wrote, they feverishly work on a fix).

Actually just because something has bugs in it, it does not mean that we
should abandon it.  A nice way is to, well, correct the bugs.  Bearing this in
mind, Linux people are doing something which *is* correct with Reiserfs.  But
advertizing Reiserfs as the 'One True FS(TM)' which should also be used on
production machines, is wrong -- with that I can agree any time.

> Anybody knows why they waste so much resources on reiser when there are
> much better tools from SGI and IBM?

Dunno, my expertise in Linux lore is not *that* good to know why things are
done the way they are.  I've heard complaints for xfs (requires vfs caching
to be disabled), but since I don't know what the exact differences of
Reiserfs and xfs/jfs are (both in features, and bugs, err, flaws, err, 'known
problems'), I'd better shut up now :-)

-giorgos