Date:      Fri, 10 Jul 1998 16:27:35 -0700
From:      Tim Spencer <tspencer@hungry.com>
To:        Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>
Subject:   Re: Network Visualisation/Management Software

With large smiles, Open Systems Networking writes:
>If you find anything pass it along. Someone could make a killing doing
>network monitoring for companies. Alot of the big consulting companies
>offer network management with HP OpenView for customers. If we had
>something like that it would be REALLY nice. But I don't recall ever
>seeing anything like that. So if you find something please pass it along.

	There used to be something called "scotty" and "tkined" in
/usr/ports/net, which did a lot of network mapping and SNMP query
stuff.  It was a strange Tk based app that utilized IRR and a bunch of
other routing and snmp tools to scan subnets and routers and try to
develop a reasonable network map.  It didn't do monitoring, but it did
do mapping and allow you to play around with the map much like
OpenView does.  Unfortunately, the last time I looked at the port, it
was no longer working, so you may have to do some hacking to get it
working again.  When I had it working, it was really quite cool,
though obviously not finished.

You might want to check out:
http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~schoenw/scotty/
for more info.  Have fun!