Date:      Thu, 23 Jul 1998 08:17:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        dglynn@vaview5.vavu.vt.edu, louie@TransSys.COM
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCI modems...

>From: "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
>Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 23:48:49 -0400

>- While having a rockwell chipset is a good sign, you should be aware
>that the quality of the analog front-end of the modem may be the limiting
>factor that will affect what rate the modem manages to train at.

>> For $55 is's not that bad although it has a rockwell chipset on it...

I've been tracking this fairly closely, and to the best of my knowledge
and belief, the Rockwell implementation of the proposed V.90 standard is
not currently interoperable with the Lucent RABU (as in "PortMaster")
implementation.  It is my current understanding that Rockwell declined
to participate in interoperability testing with Lucent until about a
month or so ago.

In any case, this may be an issue if there's an expectation that the
MODEM's V.90 mode will be used for connection to a PortMaster.  If
connection to a PM is wanted, the K56Flex mode would undoubtedly work
better.  And it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the Rockwell
V.90 implementation may need a tweak or two before it's both conformant
with the actual standard (on track, as I understand it, for approval in
September, 1998) and interoperability with Lucent gear.  (It's certain
that the Lucent code will need to be changed, as it's a beta version of
ComOS that supports V.90 at all, and there remain some issues to be
resolved.  On the other hand, I fully expect that when Lucent releases
the code (as non-beta), it will be solid.)

david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621