Date:      Thu, 2 Nov 2000 22:09:15 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com (Jordan Hubbard)
Cc:        bob@buckhorn.net (Bob Martin), freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: About introducing newbies to FreeBSD

> question always boiling down to "Who the heck is going to write this
> thing then?"
>
> That's generally where the discussion stops.  Every man and his dog
> can describe an installer which follows in the footsteps of Windows,
> Solaris or even OS X now that we have its installer to look at since
> imitation is a pretty straight-forward design challenge.  As I first
> said back in 1993, "who will step up to the plate and create this
> alternative installer so that we can evaluate its merits and possibly
> even make it the default?"  I'm still waiting for an answer to that
> question, 7 years later. :-)

Maybe if there were money in it.

I mentioned before that I knew someone was willing to do it
with a "soft updates"-like license, where they got to make
the money off it for a year after first release, then it
would fall out into Open Source, and could be used by Walnut
Creek, but they'd have to be able to market the CDROMs as
something like "WhiteHat FreeBSD".

Did I mention that I know the guy who put the "prograss bar"
into the Windows InstallShield installer code, used by Windows
itself and almost every program distributed for Windows?

Not saying these two topics are related, but not saying they
aren't, either...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---