Date:      Sun, 02 Apr 1995 00:17:50 +0200
From:      Julian Howard Stacey <jhs@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
To:        kiran@cerc.wvu.edu (Kiran Reddy)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i can help

> From: kiran@cerc.wvu.edu (Kiran Reddy)

Ref.
---
i am a grad student at West Virginia University and I think i can help you guyswith some of the work.
Please let me know in what way can i be a help to you guys.
--

I append my somewhat dated suggestions list

=====
/usr/src/share/FAQ/PROJECTS	by Julian Stacey <jhs@freebsd.org>

		IDEAS FOR PROJECTS FOR FreeBSD

	Section 0:	Introduction
	Section 1:	/usr/src/sys	Kernel Projects
	Section 2:	/usr/src	Base Distribution Tools
	Section 3:	/usr/ports	Porting of other Public Domain Code
	Section 4:			New Architectures & Kernels

SECTION 0:  INTRODUCTION
	This file notes some areas where FreeBSD offers scope for
	development projects.
	Proposals, queries, discussion etc, should be emailed to a list:
		<hackers@freebsd.org> or <current@freebsd.org>
	Corrections & updates are welcome, post them to a list,
	as context diffs.
	File may be somewhat old, feel free to plagiarise / butcher /
	implement / improve :-)

SECTION 1: /usr/src/sys		KERNEL PROJECTS

Auto Compressing File System.
	{
	MSDOS supports behind-the-users-back file compression
	I suggest we do too:
	(yet another file system type, along with mfs, isofs etc)
	Suggester:	Julian Stacey	<jhs@freebsd.org>
	Comment available from: <jkh@whisker.lotus.e>

	From: "Chris G. Demetriou" <cgd@nobozo.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
	actually, i did this once, a 3-day-hacked, mostly-working proof
	of concept version, to get an idea of what would really be needed.
	(this was under 386bsd 0.0...)

	<wollman@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu>:
	One of the filesystem ideas that I've had for some time and never
	gotten to implement is a generalized loopback filesystem; this would
	support an external program (similar in concept to /sbin/mfs) which
	would get control on opens and closes and do various things.  So, you
	could do any of the following things:
	# mount -t glfs /foo/bar/baz/quux /bar
	(direct loopback)
	# mount -t glfs -o prog=cacheshepherd,cache \
		/net/wuarchive/archives /archives
	(interpose a local caching program between you and that dreadfully
	slow NFS connection to wuarchive)
	# mount -t glfs -o ro,prog=afsshepherd,cache /tmp /afs
	(/tmp is a dummy here)
	# mount -t glfs -o prog=trshepherd;[A-Z];[a-z],count=4 /bogus /mnt
	(some idiot created an all-uppercase filesystem that you now have to
	deal with)
	# mount -t glfs -o prog=ftpshepherd;/anonymous@freebsd.cdrom.com:\
		,cache /tmp /mnt
	(hey, let's implment Ange-FTP!)

	Steven Wallace <swallace@laguna.ece.uci.edu>:
		I am in on this one.
		I also like David Greenman's idea of a general purpose
		filesystem.
		.... controlled by an external program.

	Keyan Li <kli@physunc.phy.uc.edu> 94 02 23:
	We(a group of students) eventually decided to touch the
	"automatic background compression", though still struggling with
	a true understanding of the system.
	}

Linux File System
	{
	Add 1 or 2 file system types to FreeBSD, so that either or both
	Linux filesystem types can be mounted on FreeBSD.
	(@ Jan. 94 Linux did not support BSD fast filesystems, & FreeBSD
	did not support Linux file systems)
	From: gibbs@uclink.berkeley.edu (Justin Theodore Gibbs)
	Date: Sun, 23 Jan 1994 22:06:11 +0100
		HPFS filesystem support:
		A guy in the Linux Camp has allready done quite a bit of work
		on this.  All of the code I've seen is well documented with
		his information sources listed.
		All of his code has been posted to linux.development.
	}

smarter config(8)
	{
	<joerg_wunsch@uriah.sax.de> (maybe):
	It should be able to create the [cb]devsw[] tables,
	the line discipline and network
	interface tables, too.
	wollman@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu:
	Another thing on my TODO list.  config doesn't need to know anything
	about it; this should al be done by the linker (which does).
	The work that I'll eventually end up doing will also make it much
	eaier to have loadable device drivers and line disciplines (basically,
	the *sw tables ALL go away and are replaced by something which is
	dynamically allocated).
	}

devfs
	{
	"Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@whisker.hubbard.ie>:
	going to a devfs even while the drivers are static would
	be a Good Thing.  We could get our names correct, and in the short
	term it might even let us eventually deprecate MAKEDEV as all entries
	in /dev would always be correct.  As a high level compact with the rest
	of the kernel, devfs could just export:
	        <handle> = dev_reg_name(name, flags);
	        (void)dev_delete_name(name, flags);
	Where "name" is "tty01" or "st0" or whatever.
	}

Flush less dirty pages, but more often
	{
	<phk@login.dkuug.dk> (Poul-Henning Kamp):
	I have often wondered if a scheme could be devised to flush
	the dirty pages in a kind of "the 10% LRU every 3 sec"
	instead of "everything every 30 sec".
	John <dyson@implode.root.com> also has views on this.
	--
	Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu> Wed, 9 Nov 1994
	there is a USENIX conference paper on this idea for anyone interested in

Floating Point Emulator
	Improve/Rewrite It.
	Jordan Hubbard <jkh@morse.ilo.dec.com>:
	The FPE is very very weak and has been known to
	be weak since the beginning; hell, it's been one of of our top `wish list'
	items for the last year or so, and the only reason we haven't taken the
	Linux version is the fact that the damn thing's GPL'd!  Some negotiation
	was done with the author in an attempt to get a more freely redistributable
	one, but it didn't pan out.

SECTION 2: /usr/src		BASE DISTRIBUTION TOOLS

FIXIT	{
	write a script to generate a fixit rescue floppy
	Original Enthusiast: Jordan, 3/94
	}

RCP	{
	Add flag for 	rcp -h -dereference (like tar),
	to avoid sym links being converted to directories.
	Maybe add an exclude list as per gnu tar.
	Should rcp:
		(A)  	Continue to default to copy symlinks as files or
			directories, but with an additional flag to force
			copy of a symlink as a symlink.
	or	(B)   	Default to copy a symlink as a symlink, with a
			-h &/or -dereference flag,
			to force copy of a symlink as a file or directory.
	For (A) : Boyd Faulkner <boyd@bga.com>
		phk@login.dkuug.dk (Poul-Henning Kamp)
		rgrimes@agora.rain.com (Rodney Grimes)
		ATS ( ats@first.gmd.de or ats@cs.tu-berlin.de )
	For (B) : Julian Stacey <jhs@freebsd.org>
	}

Units Conversion Program
	{
	Julian Stacey <jhs@freebsd.org> suggests U..x style program:
	pound + solid (16) ounces : grams,
	pints & fluid (20) ounces : litres,
	psi : bar, fahrenheit : celsius,
	british gallons : american gallons : litres etc
	(PS maybe americans use 16 fl oz=1 pint ? might explain why
	USA gallon < Imperial (British) Gallon)
	}

Name of currently booted kernel
	boot blocks need to pass this to the kernel
	Rod Grimes wants to do this

Sup
	Nate added a `transfer compressed option`
	An `and leave compressed` option would be nice, for sup on a non
	FreeBSD system with restricted disc space, (thereafter writing src
	tree on tape to compile elsewhere).

Check System  (Q & A quality assurance stuff)
	Sanity check to run after making and  installing entire src & ports,
	to see if essentials are still running.
	(Essentials for me are make & cc etc, (to rebuild),
	kermit (for mail ;-) & groff & lpr.
	Other people have other criteria.
	Suggester: <jhs@freebsd.org>

SECTION 3: /usr/ports		Porting of other Public Domain Code

Port Major Packages
	{
	Perhaps such as:
	DTP (Desktop Publishing Packages), WP (Word Processing),
	Scanner & OCR (optical character recognition),
	Jeffrey Hsu <hsu@soda.berkeley.edu> suggests:
		Andrew (package), stuff in ftp.x.org:/contrib & comp.sources.*
		scheme, cad tools, tcl clients, games
	To see what has already been ported:
		Look in ports directory on freefall.cdrom.com
	}

Basic:
	{
	Phil Cockcroft <cockroft.pad@sni.de> has a widely ported basic
	intepreter, someone else on this list had a different basic,
	already ported.  Which to use ?

	The basic was sought by <galamar9@teleport.com> for a configure
	program he'd write (that would generate as output a file of
	format such as /sys/i386/conf/GENERICAH).
	}

Sys Admin Drag & Drop Interface
	{
	Julian Stacey <jhs@freebsd.org> notes:
	commercial customers like this sort of thing
	its a strong selling point of major U..X style OS vendors.
	}

SECTION 4:			NEW ARCHITECTURES & KERNELS

Port FreeBSD to new architectures
	{
	Julian Stacey <jhs@freebsd.org> suggests:
	- Import the netbsd /arch/ dirs,
	- shake out makefiles some more (remove .i386 assumptions),
	- start ports to new hardware
	}

Have fun, whatever you choose, whether on this list or not

Julian S