Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2000 13:16:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      The Clark Family <res03db2@gte.net>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gimme FreeBSD anyday!

Brett,
	Now I'm curious.

	Did Be go with GCC over Metrowerks because it was cheaper, or
because Metrowerks was spending too much time on their Mac products?

	Or is the Intel version of Metrowerks's C/C++ compiler inferior?

	Or did Be hope to cash in on the Linux hysteria by using GCC?

	Credit is due to GCC right? Is there any open source or GPL OS out
there that didn't get where it is by pimping GCC?

	FreeBSD? GCC?
	NetBSD? GCC?
	OpenBSD? GCC?
	Linux? GCC?

	Are there any commercial compilers that don't live without the
support of their parents?

	Borland is dead, and open source? Watcomm is dead, and open
source? What is left?

	Are we seeing a trend? Milk a product for what its worth, and then
make it open source.

	Instead of the cathedral and the bazaar, it should be the garage
sale and the free box.

[RC]