Date:      Tue, 26 Feb 2002 00:01:14 +0100
From:      Thomas Neuhaus <neuhaus@folkwang-hochschule.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problem with old (sd) disk

Dear BSD experts,

I happily ran the good old 2.2.8 version of FreeBSD on our server
at the institute with hardly any problem. But now its time (for several
reasons)
to upgrade. I use several SCSI-disks, some with dos-sclices, some
"dangerously dedicated"
i.e. no slices, the whole disk used for FreeBSD. Now FreeBSD 2.x used
the
antique "sd" driver for scsi disks, and 4.x uses the modern "da" driver.
This is no problem on the "sliced"
disks, the disklabels on the slices are all well recognized. But on the
non-sliced disks, the label
is _not_ properly read, the disklabel-utility shows only the default
label, not my partitions.

I can of course dump these tiny 120+GB to (several) tapes, freshly
slice,partition and mkfs the
unsliced disks, but that would bring a little too much downtime here.

Does anyone have a better trick? how can I force the da driver to
properly read the old label?

Any hint is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance,

Thomas

P.S.: Please reply (or cc) to my private email, as I am not subscribed
freebsd-questions

Thanks(again)

--
Thomas Neuhaus(neuhaus@folkwang-hochschule.de) Phone (49)-201-4903-333
ICEM Institut fuer Computermusik und elektronische Medien