Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2001 11:23:52 -0300 (BRT)
From:      Paulo Fragoso <paulo@nlink.com.br>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FTPD in inetd.conf

Hi,

We would like make a susgestion. If we have modified some confs files
(inetd.conf, syslog.conf and newsyslog.conf) the default configuration for
ftp will be more helpfuly. After this we can find ftp erros and files
suspects to try exploit this server. We have always modified on ours
instalations, it turn on logs of files changed by ftp.

inetd.conf:
change
ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/ftpd       ftpd -l
to:
ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/ftpd       ftpd -llS

syslogd.conf:
add:
ftp.*                                           /var/log/ftpd.log

newsyslog.conf:
add:
/var/log/ftpd.log		600  10    100  *     Z

Is this a good idea?

Paulo Fragoso.