Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 95 10:19 MSZ
From:      me@tartufo.pcs.dec.com (Michael Elbel)
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Making a FreeBSD NFS server

In pcs.freebsd.hackers you write:

>There are better ways of doing this, BTW..  A company I used to work
>for (Periphere Computer Systeme, GmbH) had something they called
>MUNIX/NET which did all of the above and at very reasonable speeds.
>Even then, many people praised MUNIX/NET as a superior solution to the
>whole file sharing problem, even if it did require kernel modification
>on both the server and client ends.  It basically used the "superroot"
>model for addressing other machines (/../machine/file) and you could
>talk to everything from files to tape drives remotely - something you
>can't do with NFS.  Since you could also traverse mount points
>successfully on the local machine, you got around that particular
>foible of NFS as well.

[...]

>Some PCSers here talked about resurrecting MUNIX/NET and bringing it
>back to life on FreeBSD, but I don't think that the legal powers were
>ever willing to open the doors enough to allow it, so I suspect that
>MUNIX/NET will die along with BETAMAX and OpenLook.  Good solutions
>shot dead by mediocre solutions with bigger guns.. :-)

Unfortunately getting MUNIX/NET wouldn't be easy.

I probably *could* get permission to rerelease the MUNIX/NET code
under a BSD copyright. It's just that one can't simply give it away
like it is. Especially the filesystem stuff is highly integrated into
the SysV 3.2 filesystem code. You might say, it was hacked in at
various places instead of trying to create a clean layer, which might
even have been impossible, what with SysV R3 not having a vfs layer.

This means, one would have to generate a whole new set of interfaces
to use FreeBSD's vfs stuff.

To do this, it would be necessary to closely look at the current code,
which wouldn't be possible for anybody without a SysV source license :-(

So, anybody with the knowledge to rip the SysV implementation apart and
the license to look at it out there who is willing to do the job?

Michael
--
Michael Elbel, PCS GmbH, Muenchen, Germany - me@FreeBSD.org
Fermentation fault (coors dumped)