Date:      Tue, 7 Apr 1998 20:58:29 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        "Michael P. Sale" <mike@merchantsnet.com>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mounting floppy file systems

On Mon, Apr 06, 1998 at 05:24:12PM -0700, Michael P. Sale wrote:
> After buying a little sense, I did some searching and came up with the
> /mnt instead.  Works just fine now, though I'm still searching for how
> to get the /A set up as well..

I don't have the book to hand. I'll skip most of the standard questions,
since I've seen a few replies to your message cover them.

I think you've missed an important point. When you mount a filesystem
(whether it's from a floppy, Zip or hard disk) you need to have a
pre-existing directory on which to mount it.

If the directory /a does not exist, you will first need to create it.

    # mkdir /a
    # mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /a

will probably work.

I suspect the /mnt directory existed, and the /a directory did not (it's
possible a previous section of the book showed its creation, but, as I
say, I don't have the book to hand).

/mnt is an informal convention about where to mount things. For example,
I have 1 floppy drive, 1 CDROM and 1 ZIP drive in my machine. I have

    /mnt/floppy
    /mnt/cdrom
    /mnt/zip

set up, and mount on to there with commands like

    mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
    mount -t msdos /dev/cd0 /mnt/cdrom
    mount -t msdos /dev/sd0s4 /mnt/zip

as appropriate.

If the directories don't exist, this happens

    # mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /non_existant_dir
    mount: /non_existant_dir: No such file or directory

Make sense?

Work: nik@iii.co.uk                       | FreeBSD + Perl + Apache
Rest: nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk    | Remind me again why we need
Play: nik@freebsd.org                     | Microsoft?