Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 19:15:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      spork <spork@super-g.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Centralized auth shell/pop/dial

Hello,

I know this is something of a recurring question on this list, but here it
comes again, the one that all ISPs that reach a certain size they realize
they must come here and ask...

What options exist to scale user management beyond a few boxes?  I never
touched NIS, but it seems interesting.  However, I refuse to run any
rpc-based service unless I really need to.  We currently have users spread
out over a number of boxes; ftp/shell/www, pop/radius, pop for dedicated
line users.  It's getting to be a mess, I want to control/create these
accounts on one machine.

If someone like Matt (from BEST) could chime in on what their scheme was
as they grew to multiple shell/pop servers, I'd love to hear it.

I'm open to stashing all the auth info in a database, one big password
file, anything.  I'm also comfortable ssh-ing files around from box to
box...

What is the status of things that could make NIS more secure like IPSec?
Where's LDAP going?  Any news about 4.0 that could make distributed auth.
easier?

Thanks,

Charles

---
Charles Sprickman
spork@super-g.com
---
                     "...there's no idea that's so good you can't
                      ruin it with a few well-placed idiots."