Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2000 07:41:22 -0400
From:      Gary Girolimon <gary@caramia.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "Keyboard: No" message at boot

Found the answer to my own question in the archives at www.freebsd.org:

"FreeBSD's keyboard probe is too fast on the Athlon board for the
keyboard controller."

"...the problem had something to do with numlock.  I was able to
confirm this by testing this about two dozen times.  Here is what i found:
If <Numlock> is off, your keyboard will *not* be found, and you're stuck."

So, the workaround is simple. Just press numlock at bootup.

>Was about to take the FreeBSD plunge and have already hit my first
>wall. When trying to boot from either the CD or a floppy, I get a
>message "Keyboard: No" and the system stops. Of course there is a
>keyboard and it works fine (and I have tried several models). It
>just seems that the FreeBSD installer does not like it. The system
>is a newly built Athlon with an MSI Pro motherboard, if that is a
>factor.
>
>Other bootable CDs (Redhat Linux) work fine.
>
>Any suggestions are appreciated.

Gary