Date:      Wed, 08 Jan 2003 12:01:09 +1100
From:      Rob B <rbyrnes@ozemail.com.au>
To:        brasseur johnny <pointer2002@free.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ADSL question

At 07:33 8/01/2003, brasseur johnny sent this up the stick:
>Actually, my goal is to use this little workstation as a firewall for a local
>little network using ADSL and maybe as a web server or file server for
>personnal purpose (ex: having a file repository i could use anywhere from,
>exchanging data with others with the rights i could define...).
>The pb is i don't quite know what kind of hardware (modem) i have to use
>neither how to make it work (i'm not so good at networking configs).
>So my questions are:
>- is there an existing adsl modem working on alpha/bsd.

As long as the modem has an ethernet connection for the computer, then I
can't see why it would not work.

>- how to make it work to share the connection between several PCs on
>bsd/linux/windows.

ipfw or IPfilter, both are available in the base system.  Have a look at
the FreeBSD Handbook for information there.

cheers,
Rob

--
Anarchy - it's not the law, it's just a good idea.

This is random quote 243 of a collection of 1269

Distance from the centre of the brewing universe:
[15200.8 km (8207.8 mi), 262.8 deg](Apparent) Rennerian

Public Key fingerprint = 6219 33BD A37B 368D 29F5  19FB 945D C4D7 1F66 D9C5