Date:      Thu, 02 Dec 2004 00:34:11 -0500
From:      John <j.telford@sympatico.ca>
To:        luis <lramos3@satx.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Java port

My notes are below and are current only to November  28, 2004.
FreeBSD 4.10 jdk142

John wrote:

> Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. wrote:
>
>> luis wrote:
>>
>>>    I have searched the net with google, the mailing list, with no
>>> luck. I have also checked the man pages and the on line handbook.  Here
>>> is my problem: I'm trying to install java14 via the ports system.  So
>>> far,
>>> I have installed many ports in my 5.3  system all with no problems.
>>> What happens in trying to install is that I get the error message
>>> "printf: missing format character", jdk-1.4.2p6_6 is*** Error code 1.
>>> I had previously downloaded the j2sdk-1_4_2-mozilla_headers-unix.zip
>>> into the /usr/ports/distfiles directory.  Please let me know  what other
>>> piece of information is needed to solve this problem or to whom could
>>> I direct this question.  Thanks.  Luis
>>

>> A stock answer when something like this happens with *most*
>> ports is "re-cvsup and try again" ....
>>
>> Assuming you've tried that (it may be a new experience, or
>> somehow made complicated by circumstances), I would recommend
>> two more avenues:  the freebsd-questions@ list, and the
>> or only the freebsd-questions archive?  The java list has a page at:

>> Now, the list charter specifies that it is a "specialized" list,
>> meant for "development of significant Java applications" and
>> "porting and maintenance of JDK's" ... so, you probably shouldn't
>> just barge in and ask right away, but it might, just *might*, be
>> acceptable to ask, real gently, after perusing their archives
>> and trying whatever else.  Don't pester them too much.  A
>> quick perusal doesn't show any recent crucifixions, though ....
>>
>> HTH,
>>

> I have notes on all this from the build i just finished at the office
> and will post.
> Tip #1
> You can only use "make minimal=YES"  on the current port <= that case
> may be backwards.    Due to the java security bug found last week.
> Update all ports first - it  has a lot of dependents.
> This is a brutal build, takes hours on the fastest dual box, my notes
> will help save you some trouble hopefully. Anyone know a faster way to
> get jdk on a freebsd box ?

Building java jdk142  from ports.

Update all ports first – it has a lot of dependents.
If building remotely install 'screen' from ports. It will allow you to
attach detach from the session. Warning do not pkg_add screen, it has a
race problem.

The build will ask you for required files to be downloaded to
/usr/ports/distfiles, these are from a build on Nov 28, 2004. Update
ports and check the Makefile for changes or do the make and grab the
files as they come up.

 From http://www.eyesbeyond.com/freebsddom/java/JDK14SCSLConfirm.html
you need the FreeBSD Patchset.
bsd-jdk14-patches-6.tar.gz

 From Sun download:
j2sdk-1_4_2-bin-scsl.zip
j2sdk-1_4_2-src-scsl.zip
j2sdk-1_4_2_06-linux-i586.bin

make MINIMAL=yes install to avoid JAVA vulnerability, that currently
exists on Nov 28, 2004. You won't get the Browser plug-in.

After hours compiling it will probably error on :

Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM warning: Can't detect initial thread stack
location
/usr/ports/java/jdk14/work/control/build/bsd-i586/gensrc/java/util/CurrencyData.java:1:
'class' or 'interface' expected
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM warning: Can't detect initial thread stack
location

Solution is:
http://groups.google.ca/groups?hl=en&lr=&threadm=mwhQc.246469%24Oq2.107712%40attbi_s52&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26q%3Dfreebsd%2B%27class%27%2Bor%2B%27interface%27%2Bexpected%26btnG%3DSearch

"Edit
/usr/ports/java/jdk14/work/control/build/bsd-i586/gensrc/java/util/CurrencyData.java

There are two lines, 1st and last, that begin with "Java HotSpot(TM)",
comment
them out with //."

I only had to comment the first line.

Restart (it's not from the beginning as long as you have'nt done a 'make
clean' ) you will get the instructions:

make MINIMAL=yes install
===>  Building for jdk-minimal-1.4.2p6_6
ERROR: You have to have LINPROCFS mounted before
starting to build of native JDK 1.4.2.

You may do it by following set of commands:
# kldload linprocfs
and
# mount -t linprocfs linprocfs /compat/linux/proc
*** Error code 1
Stop in /usr/ports/java/jdk14.

So do that:
server01# kldload linprocfs
server01#  mount -t linprocfs linprocfs /compat/linux/proc

Load and continue compiling.
It should now complete fairly quick.

Regards, John.