Date:      Tue, 03 Dec 1996 16:56:44 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD ISPs head-start!

I've been getting a few questions from people about the FreeBSD
based Interjet.. For those of you who don't know me, My name
is julian Elischer and I have been involved in FreeBSD
since it was 386BSD. I wrote the SCSI system and various
other bits here and there..

Recently I've been here at Whistle Communications making a
'plug-and-play' internet gateway out of freebsd.
See http://www.freebsd.com for more info..

The aim of this device is to allow small businesses to connect to
the internet via their ISP (you) without having to hire a system
administrator. We are looking for ISPs to work with in introducing
this device and giving it a good shakedown. It lives at the custommer
site and connects to the ISP using Dial-on-demand PPP (analog or ISDN)
and acts as a mail host/server and host address translation gateway.

If any of you are running ISP instalations and would like to
participate and get your feedback into the product (before
it becomes ubiquitous :) you should give us a call.
for now it is just available in teh US but we will be looking for
Overseas ISPs soon too.

We are interested in ISPs with some FreeBSD experience as we
think that they will be more helpful in our attempts
to find all the last bugs in this device..

How we envision you using this:
the real-estate company down the road has 5 people. They all have
PCs or MACs. They wish to surf the web and have individual
email accounts. They also wish to publish web pages about their
properties for sale.

you sell them an interjet (hey it grows on you) AND ALLOCATE THEM A
SINGLE IP ADDRESS. Using the address translation software built in,
all users can read email from the intejet (using netscape (included)
and use file sharing to drag and drop web pages to the interjet's
publishing space, which it automatically mirrors to your web-farm.
they can also surf, with the dial-on-demand routing capability.

end of story..

Sorry if this sounds a bit like a sales pitch, but  we really are
looking for savvy ISPs to start using this, and the freeBSD ISP
list seems to me the ideal place for me to find you guys so that we
get on with pushing freebsd out there into the real world.

hopefully if we make a big enough market, we can start
hosting other services from FreeBSD and create a market for
FreeBSD native apps..

anyway
give us a call if you are at all interested..
the guy doing ISP liason is Phil Alexander.. phil@whistle.com

thanks for reading me this far! :)

yours in FreeBSD!!
julian