Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 1996 21:40:31 -0500
From:      bill@tcada.state.tx.us (Bill Douglass)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Integrated ethernet on Compaq Deskpro 6000

I am trying to install FreeBSD (either 2.1.5R or 2.2-SNAP 101496) onto a
Compaq Deskpro 6000, Adaptec Ultra SCSI 2940, integrated ethernet.  This
is a machine I am setting up for web service, so X11 is not an issue.

I cannot get the boot floppies to recognize the on-board ethernet card
(Netflex-3/P, PCI).  Searching through the mailing-list archive led me to think
I needed the Lnce driver (lnc0) so I set that up, using the config. that
Win95 gave for the device's settings .  No dice.

The probes recognized the device as a Compaq network device, but has no
driver installed -

pci0:11:  Compaq, device=0xae35, class=network (misc) int a irq 11 [no
driver assigned]

I appreciate any tips from those who have worked with the model.  Thanks
greatly.

--
Bill Douglass, bill@tcada.state.tx.us        (512) 349-6734
Network Administrator, Texas Commission on Alcohol & Drug Abuse

"I dreamed I was to take a test,
 in a Dairy Queen, on another planet."      L. Anderson