Date:      Sun, 2 Apr 1995 11:10:00 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        wilko@yedi.iaf.nl (Wilko Bulte)
Cc:        PVinci@ix.netcom.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: large filesystems/multiple disks [RAID]

> Stop! Spanning and RAID are not the same. And only RAID5 and friends
> give you  redundancy against single-disk failures. RAID0 (striping)
> leaves you hair tearing when one of the member disks breaks.

Yes, in many cases.  However, those of us managing Usenet spools spread over
half a dozen disks would probably not mind (I'm not particularly fond of
newfs'ing an entire spool after a single disk crash, but it might be an
acceptable tradeoff).  It would be nice to see some sort of solution, even
if it's not necessarily "optimal" at this time.  :-)

... JG