Date:      13 Sep 1997 20:30:36 +0200
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav)
To:        curt@kcwc.com (Curt Welch)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XP34550S / AHA2940UW refuses wide negotiation

curt@kcwc.com (Curt Welch) writes:
> dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan Smxrgrav) wrote:
> >  I recently upgraded my Adaptec 2940 to a 2940UW to take full advantage
> >  of my Quantum Atlas II. However, it seems that both the adapter and
> >  the disk are refusing wide negotiation.
> > [deletia]
> >  FreeBSD 2.2.1-RELEASE #0: Sun Aug 10 17:01:55 CEST 1997
> >  [...]
> >  ahc0 <Adaptec 2940 Ultra SCSI host adapter> rev 0 int a irq 9 on
> pci0:10
> >  ahc0: aic7880 Wide Channel, SCSI Id=7, 16 SCBs
>
> >  ahc0:A:0: refuses WIDE negotiation.  Using 8bit transfers
> >  (ahc0:0:0): "CONNER CFP1080S 4649" type 0 fixed SCSI 2
> >  sd0(ahc0:0:0): Direct-Access 1030MB (2110812 512 byte sectors)
> [deletia]
>
> It looks to me like the Quantum is working fine.  It's the Conner
> and the CD-ROM that are refusing WIDE negotation.  I think you just
> got confused by the order in which the messages come out.  Note
> the device numbers.

Dang!

(apply #'powerful-lart '(dag-erli :reason "check twice before posting"))

> > Why is the Atlas II reported as a SCSI 2 device rather than SCSI 3?
>
> Don't know but that's how it works.  I think wide and maybe even ultra
> speed devices are part of the SCSI 2 spec.  People have just come to
> call wide SCSI-3 even though it isn't.  Don't know if the dirve
> is SCSI-3 or not.  Maybe some of the SCSI experts on this list can
> give us a lesson.

According to the data sheet, it is SCSI-3. I think it must be more
than just the wide bus, as both Quantum's Atlas II and Seagate's
Barracuda LP exist in narrow versions, but are still called SCSI 3.

Maybe some SCSI expert can tell us if there are differences in the
SCSI 3 command set?

--
 * Finrod (INTJ) * Unix weenie * dag-erli@ifi.uio.no * cellular +47-92835919 *
  RFC1123: "Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send"