Date:      Tue, 21 Oct 1997 10:17:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxtv 0.45 and/or Bt848 driver

Well, I had a little time to experiment with the Bt848 driver/fxtv
this weekend/yesterday, so, since I understand that fxtv-0.45 and
the updated Bt848 driver are in the 2.2.x and 3.0-current source trees,
I upgraded to the latest (late Saturday) 2.2 RELENG, soon to be 2.2.5.
I wanted to test the soon-to-be-2.2.5 release wrt the Bt848.
It appeared to have updated fxtv and bt848 drivers.  I did a
"make world" overnight, it worked, and fxtv and video in worked.

A few complications.

[Of course, I ran into the same "TVSetChannel" problem, but,
that was easily fixed by the advice on "freebsd-multimedia".]

Somewhere in all the upgrades, [I freely admit that during upgrades
operator error is a possibility}, I have experienced two new problems.

First, the vic 2.8 framegrabber no longer seems to detect the Bt848,
as it did before, so, I can't do video input to vic.   Was a change
to vic required to support the modified driver?  It was working
Saturday (I checked), before the cvsup and "make world".  Are there
any modifications to the vic source needed to go with the latest
driver?  As I said, this was working before the upgrade, and I did
not upgrade vic, so the change would have had to have been in
cvsup'ed system source or in one of the /usr/ports dependent libraries,
some of which may have been updated since vic was last built.

Now, fxtv-0.45 works in 8-bit color mode (I was expecting a somewhat
different user interface from fxtv-0.44, but it looks the same to me -
do I have an X resources problem?), although, fxtv seems to ignore the
channel selection X resources that I had set before (but, you can go up
and down one-channel-at-a-time) in the channel space.  Was there an
announcement of new X resources to set/handle the channels?  Is there
another way to do this now - I saw no menu.  In any case, I assume that
all this will sort itself out over time and has nothing to do with
the driver changes.

The other, potentially serious, problem is that in (32-bit)
Truecolor (using an ATI Graphics Xpression), a large horizontal
band of what appears to be every-other line (e.g. even or odd?)
is messed up.  I don't have the exact dimensions, but, I would
say that this band goes perhaps from lines ~120 to ~300 on the
displayed video image.  Now, I did see  a similar effect before
with 2.2.2-RELEASE and fxtv-0.43 or -0.44 (somewhere in the
June-August timeframe), and, after recompiling and reinstalling
everything in September, it mysteriously went away.  But, now
the problem is back.  I tried cleaning, deleting, and reinstalling
from port source, a few things, but, it made no difference.
8-bit color mode still works fine.

I also tried running the old fxtv, which I had squirreled away,
and, it produced some error messages and wouldn't run.  I have
not tried reinstalling the old driver, because, I think there
is some new ioctl or something the new fxtv needs.  But, if
I'm wrong about that, I could try putting the old driver back.

Environment: 2.2-RELENG as of Saturday, including the now-included
Bt848 driver, which appears to have been updated properly (previously,
I had the ~June driver hand-installed), fxtv-0.45, ATI Graphics
Xpression, XFree86 3.3.1, using the Mach64 X server.

So, anyway, has anyone else tried the almost-2.2.5 release
with fxtv-0.45 using the X server in truecolor mode, and,
if so, anything odd?  It may have something to do with the
relatively slow ATI card, but, it was working since early
September using 2.2.2, fxtv-0.44, and the (June?) driver.

-Hugh LaMaster

  Hugh LaMaster, M/S 258-5,     ASCII Email:  hlamaster@mail.arc.nasa.gov
  NASA Ames Research Center     Or:           lamaster@nas.nasa.gov
  Moffett Field, CA 94035-1000  No Junkmail:  USC 18 section 2701
  Phone:  415/604-1056          Disclaimer:   Unofficial, personal *opinion*.