Date:      Wed, 16 Sep 2009 09:52:47 -0400
From:      Linda Messerschmidt <linda.messerschmidt@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS group ownership

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 9:00 AM, Christoph Hellwig <hch@infradead.org> wrot=
e:
> Btw, on Linux all the common filesystem support the SysV behaviour
> by default but have a mount option bsdgroups/grpid that turns on the BSD
> hebaviour. =A0I would recommend you do the same just with reversed signs
> on FreeBSD. =A0??Having different default behaviour for different
> filesystems on a single OS is generally a bad idea.

I agree; I have noticed a lot of confusion with this as well.  In our
case, we mount some ZFS and UFS2 filesystems over NFS, and the NFS
client machine has no way of knowing what the NFS server is going to
use for a default group.  It would be fantastic if there were a way to
get consistent behavior.

However, some of the ZFS filesystems in question are exported from a
Solaris machine, and on Solaris, I believe it's the NFS client that's
expected to set the grpid flag, so in order to reliably help with this
case, this might have to be a client-side NFS flag on FreeBSD as well.
 Otherwise it may wind up working differently for local ZFS
filesystems versus ones mounted over NFS.