Date:      Tue, 3 Dec 2013 19:30:14 -0800
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        Jim Thompson <jim@netgate.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org" <freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Channel interference scan and manual selection

On 3 December 2013 19:03, Jim Thompson <jim@netgate.com> wrote:

> On Dec 3, 2013, at 7:56 PM, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> Now, ideally it'd actually check the channel for interference and
>> channel busy status, and use _that_ metric.
>
> Ideally, it would attempt to get co-channel with other APs on the same ch=
annel.

> Especially in 2.4GHz (or any of the 5GHz bands).
>
> Because you would *much* rather share the air (via collision avoidance) t=
han raise the noise floor for someone (everyone) else.

> And, given that everyone has a DC receiver these days, there are NO =93no=
n-overlapping channels=94.

Right. Hence, interference and channel busy. The Atheros NIC channel
busy tells you % busy with signal in the air _AND_ % busy receiving
frames. So you can get an idea of what's actually going on.

The basics are in the Atheros HAL. We just need a nice way to wrap it
up and hand off channel survey results to the net80211 layer so it can
make these decisions.

-adrian