Date:      Sun, 10 Feb 2002 17:32:34 +1300 (New Zealand Daylight Time)
From:      Juha Saarinen <juha@saarinen.org>
To:        Holt Grendal <holtor@yahoo.com>
Cc:        "stable@freebsd.org" <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Frequent Restarts

On Sat, 9 Feb 2002, Holt Grendal wrote:

>  Hi everyone,
>
>  Ever since upgrading to FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE several
>  servers have been randomly restarting themselves.
>  The only relevent messages left in messages or console
>  logs was:
>
>  Feb  9 20:25:09 phoenix /kernel: WARNING: / was not
>  properly dismounted
>
>  I've had a few people tell me they had this problem
>  too. They told me the problem dissapeared after their
>  computers restarted 2 - 4 times randomly.
>
>  Its certaintly not a hardware issue.. all said servers
>  ran for months and months with FreeBSD 4.4, 4.3, and
>  previous versions without a single issue.

I've got a 4.2-STABLE box on a remote site that did exactly the same. I
took out the SMB and I2C stuff from the kernel, and the spontaneous
reboots stopped. Have upgraded it to 4.5-STABLE, no reboots so far.

>  A hunch tells me that it has something to do with the
>  filesystem changes included with 4.5 and softupdates.

Hmmm... I was able to reliably trigger the reboots by doing 'make world'
or 'make buildworld' and so forth. The reboots occurred at random though,
and once or twice the compile process completed. :-\

--
Juha
Take off every sig!