Date:      Wed, 12 Jan 2000 21:41:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        ntakpe@ffab.tide.ti.com (Jean Louis Ntakpe)
Cc:        dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie (David Malone), mb@imp.ch, dillon@apollo.backplane.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: move portmap(8) from /usr/sbin to /sbin

> "Rodney W. Grimes" wrote:
> >
> > Independent of order of export/mounting the dead lock occurs.  Cross
> > mounting via NFS is a verbotten thing in the sysadmin world of production
> > systems.  :-)  I have had to fix it at several sites admin'd by newbies...
> >

> I'm not sure you are really understanding the problem. We
> don't want
> to read RFCs or such professional sysadmin red books...

But a lot of us around here do just that, don't expect us to make
changes just because it suites _your_ needs as that change may very
well not suite the _other_ 95% of the users.

> Sometimes we just want to nfs-mount things on the same
> machine.

Sick, poor in performance and the wrong tool for the job.
See mount_null(8) for more details on how to do it right.

> One more example: I don't like /var/news so I mount locally
> /var/news
> to /archive/news on the same system instead of using
> symlinks.
> My rc.local manages it for me.

Sick.  See above.

> But, is it really so difficult to move portmap to /sbin.

It is not difficult to move the binary.  The difficulty is in changing
the sequence of events that control when the binary is run.  No one
here has objected to moving the binary that I have seen, it has been
changing when things occur.

> Why?
portmap/mountd are heavy users of syslog, you _should_ have syslogd
running before portmap/mountd.  syslogd is started between network_pass1
and network_pass2.

> Linux have portmap in /sbin and it runs.

That argument holds 0 ground here.  And it's not the objection to your
change we raised.

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net