Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 2002 08:16:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      Al Turner <n4okg@mobis.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   misc/36536: Apparent mother board incompatability

>Number:         36536
>Category:       misc
>Synopsis:       Apparent mother board incompatability
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
   I have two machines, one with an ASUS P3B-F motherboard with the Intel 440BX AGP chipset with Pentium III 500Mhz processor, and the other the ASUS A7M266 Socket A motherboard with the AMD 761 Chipset and AMD Athlon 1.4 processor. Since installing both FreeBSD 4.2-Release and FreeBSD 4.4-Relaese on the newer system I have had numerous weird problems, most of which were reported as bugs.  It seems now that they are more likely motherboard problems, since they disappear when I install on the older system.  The problems that disappear are as follows:
1.  Install must be done with "PNP OS = YES" to avoid system lock-up    when device probe is invoked.
2.  Kernel recognizing the FreeBSD install disk (after system has booted from that disk and the install has progressed to the point of selecting packages) as a music disk on one CDROM drive, a Creative 52X, but not on another CDROM drive, also a Creative 52X.
3.  Problems starting X Server - DCOP_Server failed self-test. Repeated tries could get the server going with KDE.  I re-installed with Gnome and the problem wasn't there.

>How-To-Repeat:
   Install either FreeBSD 4.2-Release or FreeBSD 4.4-Release on the Machine with the A7M266 motherboard, AMD Athlon 1.4 processor and 266 DDR RAM.
>Fix:
 Install either release on the machine with the P3B-F motherboard and Pentium II 500Mhz processor.