Date:      Fri, 21 Oct 2005 15:19:47 -0700
From:      "Michael C. Shultz" <ringworm01@gmail.com>
To:        Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [SUGGEST] Reform eclipse and eclipse related ports

On Friday 21 October 2005 15:09, you wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 02:54:41PM -0700, Michael C. Shultz wrote:
> > My .02 cents worth - - - Would the ports system handle adding another
> > level to its directory structure?
>
> This is the biggest FAQ about the ports collection and the answer is
> always going to be the same: NO.  We have nearly ten thousand lines of
> automated tools which have the two-level assumption hardwired into them.
> Fixing this would require many, many, hundreds of hours to do the necessary
> rewriting and regression testing.
>
> Reading back through the mailing lists would have shown you this.
>
> mcl

Seems like the quantity of ports available will eventually hit a plateau
with the current two level directory structure.  No one is afraid to update
the basic OS when its needed, even when it means using an entirly different
file system ( ie. UFS1 -=> 2 ),  why be so scared when it comes to the ports
system?

-Mike