Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 1996 12:18:46 GMT+0100
From:      "Kees Jan Koster" <Kees.Koster@nym.sc.philips.com>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   multi, non-pentium motherboards?

Hoi Hardware,

Darn, I was a little quick to drop that e-mail about the dual
586-100's. That sounds really interesting. I just sold my old
motherboard and somewhere next week I'll buy a new one. I'm
considering an AMD-133, or another non-intel-almost-pentium cpu.
However, I would _like_ to experiment with a multi-processor board
too. Now, the price for a dual pentium seems a little over my budget,
but if there is an alternative...

Could you give me some advice, please? I sort of dread the amount of
gibberish the salespeople are going to stuff down my throat next week
and I'd like some professional advice first.

  - What speed of pentium do I need to match an AMD-133 during a
    large gcc-compile (read: make world).
  - Apart from the AMD-133, what are fast-and-cheap alternatives for
    pentiums? Are the IBM's and Cyrixes any good?
  - Are there non-pentium multiprocessor boards? Which ones are good?
  - If I go for a cheap dual processor board, how many hours of
    hacking do I need to get FreeBSD to use both processors?
  - Any brand of cpu/motherboard that I should avoid?

Thanks in advance,

   Kees Jan Koster