Date:      Sat, 7 Dec 2002 23:02:07 -0500
From:      Bill Vermillion <bv@wjv.com>
To:        John Brooks <john@day-light.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AOL broadband

On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 19:56 , while impersonating an expert on
the internet, John Brooks sent this to stdout:

> In reviewing apache logs I just found where an AOL ver8 broadband
> visitor used 26 distinct ip addresses to access half a dozen web
> pages (plus graphics) in a 9 minute time frame from one of my
> clients. Has anyone come across this before?

Had not seen the broadband but had seen dozen of sites from AOL in
the past where they appear to cache the site contents to cut down
on traffic.

I just checked logs and had 6200+ entries in the logs on my busiest
site since the roller on December 1,

Of that 392 have 'cache' as the first part of the name and it looks
like from a couple of different countries.  And there were 79
uniqe aol spider entries.  Thats out of 250,000+ log entries in
the past 7 days.

I see that rr.com is in 1st place this month, and followed
by net.mx [that's a surprise], comcast, attbi and then aol. And 6
edu sites make it into the top 30.

What's interesting is the 80% of the hits are direct with google
and yahoo taking up 9%.

Bill
--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com