Date:      Fri, 12 Nov 2004 09:22:28 +0000
From:      David Jenkins <david.jenkins@gmail.com>
To:        Andy Hochhaus <hochhaus@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkg_add -r gimp fails

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 18:24:33 -0600, Andy Hochhaus <hochhaus@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks. I currently do have gimp working, however I was hoping for an
> explanation about why the package installation from the Internet
> failed. That way next time it happens I'll have a better understanding
> of why. Additionally I would like to better understand how to avoid
> this happening so that I don't have to fall back on installing
> programs via ports rather than packages.

Hi,

You could always manually download them from:

ftp://FTPMIRROR/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-5.3-release/Latest/

( replace FTPMIRROR with your choice of mirror from
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mirrors-ftp.html )

Saying that though, I have tried
$ pkg_add -r gimp

and it works for me.

I don't know if it was a typo but have you noticed the ":" at the end
of the first hyperlink you sent?
( ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-5.3-release/Latest/gimp.tbz:
)

if you actually just opened the following in a browser for example
(all I have done is taken the semi-colon of the end) then it downloads

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-5.3-release/Latest/gimp.tbz

?

Hope this helps.

David