Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2006 19:36:24 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Jos=E9_M=2E_Fandi=F1o=22?= <freebsd4@fadesa.es>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   atheros chips dangerous?

Hello,

  Possibly some of you will have read the news about "Hijacking a
Macbook in 60 Seconds or Less"[1]. At this time I was searching
a wireless card for my server and I wonder how this can affect
to the combination FreeBSD+ath(4).

  The ath_hal page states that FreeBSD use a binary driver and
I think it is located in this file[2].

  Unlike OpenBSD which affirms that they have reverse engineering[3]
the drivers would I be at risk if I use atheros based wireless cards
with FreeBSD?

all comments will be appreciated. Thank you.

[1] http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2006/08/hijacking_a_macbook_in_60_seco_1.html
[2] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/contrib/dev/ath/public/i386-elf.hal.o.uu
[3] http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2006/04/27/openbsd-3_9.html