Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 2004 12:45:10 -0700
From:      Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>
To:        Charles Oppermann <charles@coppersoftware.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OT: Outlook message formats

On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 12:12:12PM -0700, Charles Oppermann wrote:
> > An option Outlook loves to ignore, just like it loves to ignore to use
> > ASCII only.
>
> I'm not aware that Outlook will ignore the settings that control how
> original text is presented.  In my experience, it's always respected the
> current setting.
>
> When you say "use ASCII only" are you referring to the character set to use,
> or possibly the option to create messages using "plain text"?
>
> Many people get tripped up by the "message format" option.  There are three
> options - plain text, rich text and HTML.  Actually, the label for this
> option is "Compose in this message format".
>
> This option only controls what the default format will be for a new
> message - it does not control what format is used when replying or
> forwarding messages.  There are good reasons to match the received format,
> but I admit it's confusing to many when they want to send a plain text reply
> to a HTML message.  In those cases, the format of the reply/forward can be
> changed from the menu.
>
> If you want to ignore non-plain text in messages, you can set the "Read all
> standard mail in plain text" option.  This is in the E-mail options dialog
> in Outlook 2003.  If you have an older version, you can set a registry entry
> to affect the same result.
>
> This simply means that Outlook will use the "text/plain" MIME body part when
> presenting messages.  Thus, all replies and forwards of received messages
> will start out in the "Plain text" format.
>
> Please forgive this off-topic posting.
>
> ---Chuck

I have set anything I can find to plain text, yet often when I get email
in HTML or Richtext and press reply, it will not convert it to Plain text,
but keep the format the orignal email was in.

Same with the ident (preceed with > for reply) is often ignored.

--
Regards, Ulf.

Ulf Zimmermann, 1525 Pacific Ave., Alameda, CA-94501, #: 510-865-0204
You can find my resume at: http://seven.Alameda.net/~ulf/resume.html