Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2000 13:36:07 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, Albert Yang <albert@achtung.com>, freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   5.0-CURRENT PicoBSD

On Wed 2000-06-28 (10:24), Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> > That was the problem I kept running into.  I tried to hack them up to get
> > working on 4.0 but had no success.  4.0 has massive kernel bloat. :(
>
> exactly - this is one (not the only) reason i still stick with 3.5
> on most of my systems.

How big does your compressed kernel get to?  I can only get my 5.x
kernel.gz to 508k at the moment.  Removing snapshots code may get me
back another 10k or so.  Removing PS/2 mouse gets me 15k or so.
atapi-cd gives me about the same.

loader uses 83k, but I haven't tried to remove anything there.

> > > natd, ipfw, dhcp, and ssh?  That would be perfect...
> >
> > ssh is gigantic.  Good luck.
>
> i managed to put ssh/sshd/scp and all the above on a 3.5-based
> picobsd floppy. The thing is, ssh/sshd/scp (both the one in ports and the
> openbsd version) are not crunchgen-friendly. They have a lot of
> common objects which are not in a library, and reference symbols
> with the same name and different implementations in the other
> files. Plus if you put them in a library there are clashes with
> names in other libraries...

I have this hack for ssh on 5.x.  Put:

/--
ssh_rsa_OBJS= rsa_eay.o rsa_intlstubs.o
ssh_OBJPATHS+= /devel/obj/usr/src/secure/lib/libssh/libssh.a
ssh_OBJPATHS+= ${ssh_rsa_OBJS}
LCRYPTO=	/usr/src/crypto/openssl/crypto

rsa_eay.o: ${LCRYPTO}/rsa/rsa_eay.c
	${CC} ${CFLAGS} -I${LCRYPTO} -DPIC -i $@ -c $<

rsa_intlstubs.o: ${LCRYPTO}/rsa/rsa_intlstubs.c
	${CC} ${CFLAGS} -I${LCRYPTO} -DPIC -i $@ -c $<

ssh.lo: ${ssh_rsa_OBJS}
\--

in crunch.inc, and crunchgen -h crunch.inc, and append ".include
crunch.inc" onto the Makefile.  Adding ssh makes fs.PICOBSD.gz grow from
496k to 737k!  I use 'progs ssh' and 'libs -lssl -lcrypto -lrsaINTL'.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
Sunesi Clinical Systems