Date:      Wed, 09 Oct 1996 00:29:38 -0400
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GUS PnP driver release 4

I just tried the guspnp4 version of the sound driver, and I'm having some
unexpected problems with it.  It doesn't seem to be recongnizing the
GUS PnP board as such; it seems to be found as a Gravis UltraSound 3.4.

That is, at auto-config time, I see with the guspnp4 code this:

Oct  8 23:20:32 whizzo /kernel.gus: gus0 at 0x220 irq 11 drq 5 flags 0x7 on isa
Oct  8 23:20:33 whizzo /kernel.gus: Gravis UltraSound 3.4 (1024k)> at 0x220
irq 11 dma 5,7

rather than these messages with the guspnp3 code, with various fixes over
the last week or so:
Oct  8 23:26:26 whizzo /kernel: GUS MAX (CS4231)> at 0x32c dma 7,5
Oct  8 23:26:26 whizzo /kernel: Gravis UltraSound MAX (1024k)> at 0x220 irq 11
dma 5,7
Oct  8 23:26:26 whizzo /kernel:
Oct  8 23:26:27 whizzo /kernel:  malloc failed now trying contig
Oct  8 23:26:27 whizzo last message repeated 2 times

I thought that the lack of the "malloc failed now trying contig" messages
was sort of interesting.

I just rebuilt a new kernel with the guspnp3 version, just to make sure
that other random changes to the kernel didn't affect this, and I still
see the guspnp3+fixes working as expected, with the guspnp4 version
configuring as above.

The kernel configuration for the driver is:

controller      snd0
device gus0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 11 drq 5 flags 0x7 vector gusintr

I have 2MB of RAM on the GUS PnP (though the driver has never found more
than 1MB).  Please advise if you need any other information.  Any
ideas?

Louis Mamakos