Date:      Wed, 4 Jun 1997 16:01:32 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com (Amancio Hasty)
Cc:        pst@shockwave.com, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sgml formatting code

Amancio Hasty stands accused of saying:
> I think that we have to start thinking about the idea of "packages" and
> their dependencies . For instance, we could have an ISP package,
> work station package, etc... At some point we have to decide what
> is a base level system , if we want to avoid installation bloat.

This has been hashed over quite a number of times.  The conclusion that
we've come to the last few times is that the base system needs to
be further broken into some more distribution groups, and tools
developed to manage these.

It's at about this point that the discussion stops, because :

 - doing the division is a fair amount of work.
 - developing the tools is a lot more work.

and whilst I and others are keen to do this, nobody has yet been able
to put the time up to do it in.  I'm still trying to catch up on
earlier commitments (PAM, Romeo+Juliet, etc)