Date:      Thu, 11 Dec 1997 10:12:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Bartol <bartol@salk.edu>
To:        Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
Cc:        "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>, "J. Weatherbee - Senior Systems Architect" <jamil@acroal.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: This IS relevant, you'll realize why later.

On Thu, 11 Dec 1997, Jonathan Lemon wrote:

> Hmm.  One of my professors was claiming that with 128 bits, you would have
> an address space of 2^128, which would be large enough that you could do
> away with virtual memory altogether.
>
> Just give each piece of data it's own unique address, (ala Multics) and
> then never relocate it for the lifetime of the system.  She pointed out
> that even the human genome database project is smaller than this.
>
> Somehow, I don't quite buy the argument.
> --
> Jonathan

I'd buy it for $5.00 --
If the logic for each bit fit in a cube 0.14 picometer on a side you could
fit 2^128 bits in 1 cubic meter.  Never mind that 0.14 picometer is
~1/700th the diameter of a hydrogen atom and is only about 100 times
bigger than an atomic nucleus!  So if we could fit the logic for one bit
in the space of a hydrogen atom, 2^128 bits would fill a cube ~700 meters
on a side!  Or if one bit fit in a cube 0.25 microns on a side then 2^128
bits would fill a cube ~1750 kilometers on a side (i.e. about 1/4th the
volume of the Moon)!!!!

Memories like this should be available in our life-time, cost about $5
each, and you'll need a whole bunch of them to run the latest version of
MS Word available at the time.  :-0

Tom