Date:      Mon, 23 Aug 2004 22:48:55 +0200
From:      "Marcel.lautenbach" <freebsd@xtsy.de>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   xdm an tty's

Hi folks,

well, I just started up with FreeBSD. Otherwise I would not be writing
to this group :-)

So, up to date I am rather limited in my knowldege :-)

And here is my first problem: I have set up a running and functional
FreeBSD 4.10 System in an VMware enviroment.

Well, I came to a pioint where it is said you could autostart xdm by
eddeting the /etc/ttys for tty8 and set on the xdm -daemon.

So far, so good. Now, I start the system and automacially xdm starts
up. I just have to login and can run my favourite Desktop, e.g. KDE.

Well, but how can I switch in xdm to another tty. Generally I can use
the F-Keys in combination with ALT to switch. But when I am in xdm and I do not want to
login-in via xdm and start KDE, how can I swith. When I us ALT-F2 for
instance I don't get tty1. Al it says ist that my login is not correct
after the second try, because I am in the user/password fields. Can someone helmp me with this matter?
I would defenitely appreciate it :-)

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Marcel.lautenbach