Date:      Sun, 23 Jul 1995 12:00:26 +0800 (HKT)
From:      John Beukema <jbeukema@HK.Super.NET>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@sneezy.sri.com>, Karl Denninger <karl@mcs.net>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Support charges ( was Re: SUP target for -STABLE...)

On Fri, 21 Jul 1995, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > [ Paying for support ]

I did not follow the beginnings of this discussion, but I just bought
BSDI for a nascent ISP because of the support alone.  (now I see some
things missing in and would like to use FBSD)  We would be a candidate
for paid support -

1) if it was as good as BSDI is supposed to be.
2) if the price is similar to BSDI.
3) if we could address site and configuration specific problems and ask
advice and receive rapid response.

Incidently, I do not see why the whole volunteer network would need to be
duplicated.  The community must realize that several **additional** full time
support staff whose fixes are put in the tree for everyone are a **good
thing** for all.  Why not use all the resources available?  The paying
customers expect priority for their problems, nothing more.  An OS with a
great paid support team and a great list of volunteers and more concern
for ISP operators would be unbeatable.

As long as the volunteer efforts do not diminish...

jbeukema