Date:      Sat, 5 Jan 2019 16:15:26 +0100 (CET)
From:      Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@puchar.net>
To:        "David \"Sid\" Olofsson" <contact@sidju.se>
Cc:        wojtek@puchar.net, Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org,  yaneurabeya@gmail.com, igor@hybrid-lab.co.uk
Subject:   Re: Strategic Thinking (was: Re: Speculative: Rust for base  system components)

> I agree. I find that FreeBSD's jail system is the best virtualization available now and don't see the reason to start poking around
> with Docker and similar.

Agree. You don't have directories named with random hex numbers. you
simply know what is where.

While i've used jails a lot i recently use it rarely. Because i
found that usually they are not needed. Standard unix protection
mechanisms (processes, users, groups) are just fine. For example apache
runs just fine as user.

I completely don't understand why the fashionable microservices (which are
not bad idea as they should have dependencies) needs jail-like
environments, instead of simply running a process in a separate user account.

What is wrong in ALL systems today are shared libraries or languages
(like python or perl) that depends on millions of files. Getting rid of
them will make "microservice" idea the right way.

Simply having static executable to be run. Or multiple static executables
communicating by pipes.

So "microservices" means rediscovering 1980-style (and earlier) way of
writing programs. Rediscovering but with of course messy way.