Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 16:34:19 -0800
From:      Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Help with documenting device names?

I would like some help in determining the parsing rules for device names.
For instance, there is obviously a naming pattern at work for

   ad0     ad0f    ad0s4   ad1e    ad1s3   ad2d    ad2s2   ad3c    ad3s1
   ad0a    ad0g    ad1     ad1f    ad1s4   ad2e    ad2s3   ad3d    ad3s2
   ad0b    ad0h    ad1a    ad1g    ad2     ad2f    ad2s4   ad3e    ad3s3
   ad0c    ad0s1   ad1b    ad1h    ad2a    ad2g    ad3     ad3f    ad3s4
   ad0d    ad0s2   ad1c    ad1s1   ad2b    ad2h    ad3a    ad3g
   ad0e    ad0s3   ad1d    ad1s2   ad2c    ad2s1   ad3b    ad3h
   rad0    rad0f   rad0s4  rad1e   rad1s3  rad2d   rad2s2  rad3c   rad3s1
   rad0a   rad0g   rad1    rad1f   rad1s4  rad2e   rad2s3  rad3d   rad3s2
   rad0b   rad0h   rad1a   rad1g   rad2    rad2f   rad2s4  rad3e   rad3s3
   rad0c   rad0s1  rad1b   rad1h   rad2a   rad2g   rad3    rad3f   rad3s4
   rad0d   rad0s2  rad1c   rad1s1  rad2b   rad2h   rad3a   rad3g
   rad0e   rad0s3  rad1d   rad1s2  rad2c   rad2s1  rad3b   rad3h

but what is it?  Ultimately, I would like to mechanize the result, so
that I could take a name such as /dev/rad1c and say useful things about
it, as:

    /dev/ad1c corresponds to partition "a" of unit "1" of the raw "ad"
    (ATA disk) device.  See ata(4) for more information.

If anyone out there is very familiar with the /dev entries and would
like to help with this effort, please contact me.

-r
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm
email: rdm@cfcl.com
phone: +1 650-873-7841