Date:      Thu, 26 Dec 1996 20:33:55 -0600
From:      "Jacob Suter" <jsuter@intrastar.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Allen Hyer" <allenh@wtrt.net>
Subject:   Re: Multi port serial cards

> > ugh... 50 modems on a unix box?  Ugh!!!
>
> Actually, it seems a lot of folks are starting to have success with
> configurations like this, and they don't need to run radiusd and
> multiply their accounting headaches as a result.

Hmm...  I modified the perl scripts I have found for radius to print out
just like 'ac'...  I do run 7 lines off a Cyclades card on my 2.1.5 server,
and yeah it works, but damn its a hassle.

> Admittedly, a portmaster is more plug-n-play (to an extent anyway)
> just as a Cisco is more p-n-p as a router, but sometimes cost is
> a consideration. :-)

True.  I like both ways, and I have found the pppgetty setup is great and
is possibly a tad faster than my PM2-ER-10 (off a 5x86/160), but when
something breaks on a unix box you have problems (say sendmail goes nuts
and eats the machine...  sendmail, pppd, and anything else running is dead
to the world).  When you throw together the total cost of a machine to do
this job (AMD 5x86/133, 24 megs ram, 540 MB hard drive, Cyclades 32-Yep,
case, video card, network card, etc) to handle 30 ports, it just doesn't
come out cheaper, when you can buy PM-11's (57.6k, 10 ports) pretty cheap
from guys on the Portmaster-user's list...

But, If I was just now getting into the business, I wouldn't fool with the
analog modems anymore, get a PM-3, either lease or buy...  They're cheap,
they support both ISDN and analog (if you use a PRI), and quite often the
line charges are cheaper..

TTYL
JS