Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 08:35:24 -0400
From:      Jon Parise <jcptch@osfmail.isc.rit.edu>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Net Traffic

On Wed, Jul 28, 1999 at 12:43:13AM -0400, shashi@websi.com wrote:

> I have a box colocated at an ISP. I am trying to find out a reliable way to
> find in and out traffic through my ethernet card fxp0
> Does teh traffic info displayed by netstat -ib get reset at system reboot?
> I would like to track the traffic info on a daily/weekly/monthly basis.
>
> Also, how can I find out what kind of bandwidth/speed my box is connected
> with?

Look into snmp.  Basically, all you'd need to do is run an snmp
daemon on the machine (snmpd) and query the machine's status at
regular intervals with an snmp agent (snmpwalk).

You can retrive statistcs on network usage, drive space, system
load, or any number of other system vital signs.

You can graph the results with a package like mrtg (suggested in a
previous response).

--
Jon Parise (parise@pobox.com)  .  Rochester Inst. of Technology
http://www.pobox.com/~parise/  :  Computer Science House Member